"Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves." -Helen Keller

"Everybody can be great... because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love." -Martin Luther King, Jr

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Growth...

I have finished my first week of school. I have learned a lot about myself in such a short amount of time. First, I learned that I am very white. Yes, that's right. I stand out wherever I go. Added to that is the fact that I'm tall. Being tall in the States is not the same as being tall in Honduras. I don't think many people here are taller than 5'7'' (and many are much shorter).
The second thing I've learned is that teaching is hard. When you're a student you think that the teachers are out to get you and that they have an easy job. Sorry to say this idea is totally wrong (at least from my perspective). Teaching takes so much time and energy. Let me give you some examples. First of all a teacher has to make lesson plans, get them approved, and be ready to make a change on a moments notice depending on the participation and understanding of the class. Secondly, a teacher has to pretend that they have an unlimited supply of energy when in reality all they want to do is sit at a desk and put their head down. Thirdly, a teacher has to manage a class room full of children who have way to much energy and who don't know how to sit still, not bother other students, or work on their assignments. Adding to this is the fact that where I am the students speak Spanish which for some may not be a problem but for others, such as myself, can be a huge problem. This week has tested my patience in many ways. I am having to learn to be flexible and loving no matter what I actually may feel like doing. The third thing I'm learning is to function in a world full of people who don't understand what I'm saying. No, I don't speak Spanish but I'm going to learn. I start getting tutored on Monday! Yay!!! Hopefully when I get home I will be able to speak Spanish comfortably.
The fourth thing I'm learning is that a missionary never just has one job. Yes, I came here to teach at a school. However, running the youth programs on Sabbaths and traveling to other churches to put on programs was also in my job description (I just didn't know it yet:) We are stretched thin on time here but we're all adapting slowly.
I am here with 7 other student missionaries from all over (all of them are female). We have already grown into a group that relies on each other and vents to each other about our hard classes and students that are giving us a hard time. God has blessed me with a group of girl friends who are supportive and who are a positive example of what it means to be a Christian.
God is taking me on an adventure that is stretching me. Being stretched in every way is not the most comfortable but I know that God knows what He's doing. He brought me here this year, with these people, to make an impact and to grow in understanding and my relationship with Him. Joshua 1:9 says, "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." I am holding onto that promise.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh MAN!! I get SO EXCITED reading your blog!! I know what you're feeling, and I wish I could be doing it all over again with you! Sound crazy to you now? :) Take the time to stay connected to God and yourself (you can lose touch with yourself when you're drowning in things to figure out and accomplish!) because HE is the only one that can give you the strength you need to come out the other side of this a better person. Living in the stretch zone can really wear you out. And God often uses those around us to give us the support and encouragement we need to keep us going. Know that I am praying for you, and wishing I could be there with you :) You're there to do things for them, but if you take some time for yourself, regularly, you'll have a more enjoyable time in the stretch zone, and probably be able to do more for them in the long run. You may not realize it while you're there, but it will eventually blow your mind how incredibly this year will turn out for you :) Can you post your address there?
    I love you Sarah!!
    <3 Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey! Your message means so much to me. I know that you understand what I'm going through. You made it through so I know I can too:) You are so right about living in the stretch zone. It is not comfortable but it is needed. God can't help us grow if we don't let Him. I'm giving this year to Him so I have to trust that He knows what He's doing (and I'm sure He does). Right now I don't feel like I'm really helping. I am tired, frustrated, and having a good time. I'm not really sure how that works but it's happening. Thank you so much for your prayers they mean the world to me. I miss and love you hun! I posted my address on my blog so that everyone has it;) Add me on Skype sarah.wart

    ReplyDelete