"Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves." -Helen Keller

"Everybody can be great... because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love." -Martin Luther King, Jr

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Learning

I honestly learn something new everyday. I go to school and learn something about teaching. I talk to someone in Spanish and learn a new word or phrase. I talk with my housemates and learn something about black culture (seriously...haha). I learn about different cultural rules, where to find things, and how we need to store our bread in the fridge because rats get in and eat it. Yes, all this is true. I even learn how to eat new foods that I've never had before. 


As you can see I find humor in many of the new things that I discover. For example, learning how to eat baleadas. Here's the story. My first week here I went to a small walk in restaurant with a few other SMs. We had no idea what we were doing all we knew was that someone told us we had to stop in and try their baleadas. When we finally made it through the challenge of ordering (hahaha) we sat down to wait for our food. I felt like I was in a zoo with the amount of people staring at us. Finally our food came and we sat around discussing how best to eat it. We obviously picked the wrong way when one of the waitresses brought us forks and knives. We weren't sure whether to be offended or flattered that they thought of us :D We finally just ate it with our hands...after observing how others were eating this delicious meal. What a fun memory!

No comments:

Post a Comment