I know it's been a while since I last wrote. I don't even know where the time goes. I guess school-wise not much has changed. I am still having problems with discipline in the classroom. I have my good days, good hours, and bad ones. I am starting to feel more comfortable here though. I don't feel like I ever will be totally comfortable and at ease though.
I've been having a lot of thoughts. I guess I may as well express them here. Maybe you will learn something, think of something in a different way, or have a solution or idea for me.
We had a discussion the other day about not feeling like we are on a mission trip. We get up every morning at around 5:40am, leave the house at 6:30am, have worship at school at 6:50am, and start our classes at 7:10am. School ends at 2:30pm but we have to stay until 3:00pm. In addition we sometimes have to stay after school for meetings (both for teachers and with parents). Once we get home we have grading to do, lesson plans to make or perfect, and sometimes Spanish lessons. Sounds like a busy day right? Well, it is.
My mind got to thinking...how is my life now different than at home? Why am I calling this a mission trip? Sure I'm working for basically nothing, I'm helping in another country, and I am having to learn a new language but how is that serving God? How is that showing others how amazing Jesus is? How is that valuable for the future of these people?
I started thinking about what I could do to evangelize to the people of Comayagua Honduras. I didn't come up with much. It's not safe to walk around to houses after dark (which is really the only time that we have). We prayed as a group for God to show us a way that we could share our faith with others.
This is one of those be-careful-what-you-pray-for situations. Two days later we got a knock on the door of our house. There were two Mormon missionaries who wanted to come in and talk with us. We didn't think much of it and were more curious to hear what they had to say than anything.
We have now met with them 4 times. I feel like God put them in our lives for many reasons. For starters I think that they might have something to teach us. I don't believe that I know everything there is to know about God. They also might learn something from us. It is hard to know if they will because they have strict rules about their time (meaning they can't just come and listen to us talk about what we believe). However, we tend to try to insert little things into the conversation anyways.
The feeling that strikes me the hardest about God's purpose for putting them into my life has to do with myself. God wants me to be confident in my faith. He wants me to know why I believe what I believe. How confident am I that what I believe is true? Very. However, how confident am I in sharing what I believe with someone who has no idea what I'm talking about? Hmmm...that is really the question isn't it? God has a funny way of giving you what you ask for but in a very unusual form (for us that form was two Mormon women).
God is working on something here. It almost feels unrelated to this year of service. Couldn't this have happened at home? Why did I have to fly thousands of miles from home in order to learn this lesson? God's timing is perfect. We have a perfect God with perfect timing...imagine that:)
This last week we have been remembering to thank God for the little things in life at our nightly worships. Looking back on my first few weeks I notice a big change. Most of our prayers were filled with requests to help us survive, for us to not hurt our children, and for the year to go by quickly. Our prayers have changed since then. I'm not really sure when it happend. We now pray for specific children in class that are having a hard time, we thank God for the little things that made the day worth it, and we pray for guidance and understanding. What a difference a few weeks can make.
I still don't understand what God wants me to learn from this year. All I know is that He just wants me to live for Him one day at a time. Sometimes all He asks is for one hour, one class period, so that He can show me how amazing He is and how much I need Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment