"Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves." -Helen Keller

"Everybody can be great... because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love." -Martin Luther King, Jr

Monday, December 5, 2011

A Jolly Spirit.

My thoughts are constantly consumed with Christmas. I can't seem to get these jolly ideas to leave my head! Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have much of a problem with this but I haven't had a break from teaching since my third week here. I am so ready for a break. On top of that I miss home. I miss things I never imagined missing. I miss walking in the park or just down the street. I miss pumpkin pie...no...I miss everything pumpkin flavored (coffee, cake, pie, etc.). I miss my friends and family. I miss being able to act like the kid instead of the adult. I miss drinking water from the tap. I miss sitting by a fire. I miss cold weather (okay this one is only partially true...it's just really miserable to sit by a fire when it's over 70, therefore, cold weather).
Christmas decorations have been going up everywhere. My classrooms have trees (fake ones) and new decorations everyday. At home we have a "Christmas wall"(the idea being that we only have to clean up one wall when Christmas is over). My toes tingle when I think of home...!!!! The anticipation is killing me.
Before I go home though I'm taking a trip to the beach. I can't wait for some time to myself where I can sleep in past 6am, take walks on the beach, go kayaking, go hiking, and enjoy some of Honduran culture. I have 10 days... I wish they would just let us all go now and give everyone a super long Christmas break. I wouldn't complain and the kids would love it. They are going crazy just like I am.
I guess waiting has it's benefits. It builds perseverance and patience, both of which are very important. I just so happen to not care about either one at the moment. All I want is sleep and days filled with fun. I guess it is selfish. I don't know; maybe not.
UPDATE:
The weather has been cold (okay cool). Don't make fun of me...I have acclimatized to the weather here. It was in the low 60's for a few days. I was FREEZING! I bundled up in 2 coats and tried to think of warm thoughts. This temperature is ideal for tea drinking however which was lovely. I drank tons :) This Sabbath is warmed up again and I was able to wear shorts and a tank top for the day. I sure hope the weather is good at the beach in a few weeks.
Lauren and I are cooking a lot. We have made banana bread, pear bread, focaccia bread, and regular bread. All of which were delicious. I made a special-K loaf with tofu instead of cottage cheese (they don't have it here). It was actually really good. We are discovering the joys of making food. No, I still don't like cooking but I tolerate it a little bit better now. I do, however, like the end results of the cooking so I suffer through ;)
Everything just seems better with Christmas so close at hand. I am feeling jolly!

No comments:

Post a Comment