"Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves." -Helen Keller

"Everybody can be great... because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love." -Martin Luther King, Jr

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Laughter is Good for the Soul

Last weekend Lauren, Lydia, and I planned to go to Santa Barbara on a bus to visit Logan at the Hoger de Niños. Those plans fell through however when we missed the bus by 5 minutes. I was so disappointed. I had been thinking about this trip for 2 weeks. I knew God had a reason why we missed the bus so I thanked Him and enjoyed a relaxing weekend home. 

I quickly started making plans for another trip to the Hogar the next weekend. Right after school Lauren and I rushed home, packed, and rushed out of the house to catch the bus. Right as we opened the door one of my students was getting out of her car to hand me a late project. Her mom offered to give us a ride to the bus stop, which saved us time in walking and finding a taxi. I could feel God's hand in what we were doing. We made it to the bus stop and sat...and sat. The sun came out and cooked us (it was nice after so much rain though). The bus came. We weren't really sure we were getting on the right one. This was our first time traveling alone so we were a little nervous. 

We got on the bus and saw chivalry for the first time. Some guys got out of their seats to let us sit down. I was so grateful. The bus stopped many times and it took a little over 2 hours to get to Santa Barbara. By the time we got there it was dark and we didn't have a way of calling Logan to let him know we were there and to find our where he was. I prayed that he would be waiting at the bus stop and he was. :) 

The kids were so excited to have visitors and played with us for hours. I laughed, not because someone said a funny joke, not because I was slightly amused but because I was truly happy! I realized that I hadn’t truly enjoyed a moment for over 2 months! God knew what He was doing when He helped Lauren and I make it to Santa Barbara. These kids just need love. They need someone to give them attention.

This last weekend I found out just how little Spanish I did know. They don’t speak English at the Hogar so communication was a little challenging but it was rewarding. On Sabbath we went to church and hung out with the kids until after lunch. Some of the missionaries went on a walk to the river. I breathed in all of the beautiful sights. Everything was so green! I’ve missed the country. The river was beautiful. The best word I can use to describe it is 'peace.'

God is good! He gives us what we need just when we need it. We went out to eat on the way to the bus stop with Logan, Rebekah, Hannah, and Aron. The baleadas were different than in Comayagua but still delicious.

Our bus ride back had a little bit of excitement. The bus broke down. Lauren and I bet on how long we would have to wait. I won…we only had to wait 20 minutes!!! I slept most of the way back. It started to rain and the bus was pretty quiet. Lauren sat next to a teacher who spoke English and learned about some different ways of disciplining the children.

Overall the weekend was wonderful. God is so good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment